Our vision for English
- To engender a life-long love of language and communication by learning about literacy skills through the use of quality children’s text and books that interest, inspire and excite readers.
At Longney we aim to:
- Teach our pupils to become confident readers who develop a love of books.
- Enable our pupils to be able to communicate meaning through spoken and written word with confidence.
In our school:
- Each classroom displays a working wall with the current learning journey so children understand the next steps in their learning.
- We choose good quality children's books to plan many of the English units of work.
- Our reading scheme is based on Book Bands and Oxford Reading Tree and it is supplemented with 'real' books. We encourage all children to read a variety of reading materials.
- Children write for a variety of purposes and audiences. Work for English and for cross curricular writing is displayed with pride throughout the school.
- At Longney we provide a range of opportunities for our pupils to speak, both formal and informal, so they develop confidence in different situations.
- In Reception and Key Stage One we teach Phonics every day. Reception pupils follow "Bug Club" and in Year 1 pupils learn phonics through "Sound Discovery".