Hello and welcome to The Friends of Longney Primary School.
We are a registered charity, run by parents, with one main aim – to raise funds for our school - we try to do this by having lots of fun events and building a real school community.
We are very proud to say the ‘FOLS’ successfully raises thousands of pounds every year to purchase equipment, learning resources and provide pupils with various opportunities that enhances their education, that the school could not otherwise afford. These vital funds go towards making our school the best it can be for our children. Some of the things that Friends pay for are the annual trip to the Pantomime for the children, contributions towards school trips, books to keep the library well stocked and items such as learning boards to ensure our children benefit from being immersed in IT.
Some ways you can help!
- Become a volunteer! Help with everything from setting up the bar to flyer distribution to cooking sausages.
- Attend the meetings - new ideas for raising and spending of the money are always welcome.
- Promote any fundraising activities/events to family and friends. Also please show your support and attend the events as much as possible as this really does make all the difference.
- Shop! Do your on-line shopping by visiting www.easyfundraising.org.uk and sign up to ‘Friends of Longney Primary School – Glos’. Every time you shop with one of the 2700 on-line retailers listed e.g. Amazon, John Lewis, Toys R Us etc the school will receive a % of your spend without it costing you a penny more. It is a bit like Nectar.
- Donate. One of our biggest fundraisers is the Summer Raffle, drawn at the School Fete. Are you or your company able to donate a high quality gift to offer as a prize? Past prizes have included gift vouchers, spa gifts, family activity tickets and loads more! Contact us if you think you can help.
If you want to be even more involved you can also become part of the Friends Committee or part of an event team. Every year we hold our AGM in October and all positions are up for election. Being part of the Committee is very rewarding and a great way to become part of the school, getting to know other parents and teachers, and also to make a real difference to your child’s school experience.
- Main duties include chairing monthly meetings, to co-ordinate the running of Friends events, liaising closely with Head Teacher to ensure we are working in harmony with the school and to welcome and involve all parents / carers.
- To assist Chair in all activities and chairing meetings in Chair’s absence.
- Take minutes of all monthly meetings and distribute to all parents/staff.
- To help Chair and all Committee members in the smooth running and communication of events to the rest of the school through website/social media/noticeboards/letters etc.
- Responsible for balancing books, giving regular financial updates, costing events, counting and banking monies raised. No need to be a qualified accountant but a good understanding of finance required.
- Provide a link between Committee members and the parents and carers of children at the school. Responsible for spreading the word and recruiting volunteers for Friends events.
- Also communicate any requests from the ‘FOLS’ to their class.