Our vision for English
- To engender a life-long love of language and communication by learning about literacy skills through the use of quality children’s text and books that interest, inspire and excite readers.
- Teach our pupils to become confident readers who develop a love of books.
- Enable our pupils to be able to communicate meaning through spoken and written word with confidence.
In our school:
- Each classroom displays a working wall with the current learning journey so children understand the next steps in their learning.
- We choose good quality children's books to plan many of the English units of work.
- Our reading scheme is based on Book Bands and Oxford Reading Tree and it is supplemented with 'real' books. We encourage all children to read a variety of reading materials.
- Children write for a variety of purposes and audiences. Work for English and for cross curricular writing is displayed with pride throughout the school.
- At Longney we provide a range of opportunities for our pupils to speak, both formal and informal, so they develop confidence in different situations.
- In Reception and Key Stage One we teach Phonics every day. Reception pupils follow "Bug Club" and in Year 1 pupils learn phonics through "Sound Discovery".