What this looks like in class:
- Throughout our history curriculum we use an enquiry approach posing pupils with open-ended questions which pupils answer through gradual exposure to historical facts and disciplinary knowledge.
- Substantive concepts have also been planned for across the school in a progressive way so that children encounter these on multiple occasions, helping them to develop understanding of these concepts throughout the periods studied.
- The National Curriculum is used to plan and deliver the teaching of History in a systematic and progressive way.
- Carefully sequenced lessons which build upon prior learning.
- Regular retrieval tasks embedded into the curriculum, planned for in the medium and short-term.
- Explicit teaching of historical skills (disciplinary knowledge) which pupils practise before applying in subsequent lessons